Line breaks in notifications ignored

mark.potter at academy.com mark.potter at academy.com
Wed Nov 21 15:32:53 CET 2007

I am pretty sure I have seen the answer to this but I have searched the
archives, google, and my own archives (since I joined the list) and can't
seem to find where I saw this mentioned before. I have notification
commands such as:

define command{
        command_name    host-notify-by-email
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "** Nagios **\n\nNotification
Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress:
$HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" |
/usr/bin/mailx -s "Host $HOSTSTATE$ alert for $HOSTNAME$!" $CONTACTEMAIL$
        }

When I run: /usr/bin/printf "%b" "** Nagios **\n\nNotification Type" from
the command line it appears correctly, with the \n inserting a line break,
however when Nagios sends an alert I get the alert with no line breaks and
an"nn" or "n" (depending on the break) where it should have been. I am
stumped at the moment. I have been over the docs but only found the macros
listing. I have a sneaking suspicion that it may have something to do with
2.9/2.10 upgrades but that didn't make much sense to me. I have tried
escaping the breaks but the same thing happens as if there weren't any
escapes there at all.

Nagios 2.10
SLES: 9 patch level 3

Any help at all, even just the right google phrase for which to search,
would really be appreciated!

Best Regards,

Mark L. Potter
Systems Engineer