Escalations causing "Recover" messages with no problem message send

Jasper Filon J.Filon at office.caiw.nl
Wed Nov 21 09:13:03 CET 2007

Dear All,

I'm implementing Nagios for a large ISP in the Netherlands. I configured
all service-notifications to be sent to both the "linux-admin" group and
the "linux-admin-sms" group. The first is by email, the second by sms.
The Linux-admin-sms is set to only accept C, U and R (critical, unknown,
recovered) messages for services.

We want the first notification that something is wrong (either critical
or warning) not by sms, but only by email. In order to keep
configuration as easy as possible and minimizing the work of adding a
new host, I simply made an service "escalation" stating:
## All first notifications only go by email
define serviceescalation{
        host_name       *
        service_description     *
        contact_groups          linux-admins;
        first_notification      1
        last_notification       1
        notification_interval   15
        }

This works fine and causes the first message to be only send by Email.
Any Critical message beyond the first goes by sms as well as intented.

This has an unintended side-effect in case the services goed through the
following sequence:
- Service goes critical -> notification by email (first notification)
- Service goes warning  -> notification by email (2nd allert, but no sms
is send for warnings)
- Service goes ok		-> recovery notification by email _and
by sms_

Obviously, it is unwanted that a recovery message is send out by SMS in
this case, because the recipient didnt know there was a problem in the
first place. According to the documentation, this should not be
possible:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/notifications.html#contacts
Note: Notifications about host or service recoveries are only sent out
if a notification was sent out for the original problem. It doesn't make
sense to get a recovery notification for something you never knew was a
problem...

Can somebody give me more information regarding the way Nagios handles
notifications? I thought the above url explained everything clearly but
it doesnt explain this problem.

Any help appreciated.

Met vriendelijke groet/With kind regards,

Jasper Filon

CAIWAY Business