Monitoring hosts and DHCP

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:00:22 CET 2007

C. Bensend wrote:
> Ummmmmm...  So how do you access the hosts, if they're switching
> IPs on you and you're not using DNS?  Do you just rely on WINS or
> something?
>
> You could set up passive checks, and have the DHCPized machines
> *send* you the test results, that way Nagios wouldn't have to have
> some way of addressing them.  I *think* that would work?  I've
> never tried it.
>
> Benny

Yes in fact this is a good idea Benny, since the NSCA calls embed the
hostname in the message so that it doesn't rely on the IP/hostname of
the originator.

This should entirely work.

If implementing a lot of passive checks though, you should really check
out NSCA Wrapper on Nagios Exchange. I wrote it cos writing a wrapper to
send nsca result for every single check seems to be a waste of time.
Just run

./nsca_wrapper -H hostname -S service_name -C '/path/to/plugin -args'

and the /path/to/plugin is run, results formatted properly and then
submitted to the Nagios server as an NSCA result, no code writing
required. Of course you have to have set up NSCA first, it's not magic
after all...

NSCA Wrapper can be found here:

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Check_Plugins.21.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=980

Because there are better things to have to write a shell script for
every check to make it a passive check.

If you're using Windows on the remote hosts, then I think the only
solution in that case is to use NC_Net as the only Windows nagios
monitoring client that supports NSCA (correct me if you know of any
other decent ones), but I'm less keen on this than on NSClient++ since
it's harder to deploy (NSClient++ is very easy to deploy even to a very
large number of hosts since you can easily script the deployment - and I
did). NC_Net has dependency on .NET Framework which means you have to go
around manually installing that everywhere, it always gives a pop up to
complete the installation, so definitely not as nice and simple as
NSClient++.

So that's the whole NSCA bag if you want it.

-h

Hari Sekhon