nagios 2.5, service notifications sent too often

Doug Woodgate douglas.woodgate at bpc.com
Fri Nov 16 17:03:02 CET 2007

I have an issue with nagios notifying me about service problems too
often. It seems to be notifying me at the check interval and not the
notification interval for all my services. Basically, I am getting
emails every 20 minutes for the Disk_Space_C service below no matter
what I have the notification interval set to. I haven't tried changing
the check interval to seei f it will change the interval between
notifications, but I may try that later. I might also try changing the
parent service template "generic-service" as
use_retained_scheduling_info=0 had no effect on restart. I don't know if
it is my retention file or what...

Nagios is reading the service as "no re-notification" when I look at the
configuration in the web interface and I have no escalations setup yet,
so I am at a loss. The service uses the it-generic template below which
uses the generic-service template I have created.

define service {
        name                            generic-service
        is_volatile                     1
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              5
        normal_check_interval           20
        retry_check_interval            2
        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        parallelize_check               1
        obsess_over_service             1
        check_freshness                 1
        freshness_threshold             0
        notifications_enabled           1
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,w,r
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        low_flap_threshold              0
        high_flap_threshold             0
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        contact_groups                  nagiosadmin
        register                        0
}

define service {
        name                            it-generic
        notification_interval           0
        notification_options            c,w,r
        contact_groups                  Email_SomeGroup,nagiosadmin
        register                        0
}

define service {
        service_description             Disk_Space_C
        use                             it-generic
        host_name                       myhost
        check_command                   chk_wmi_disk!C:!93,97
}

Doug Woodgate
Sr Technical Analyst
Brown Printing Company