Granular user/group authentication and resources

Andy Ashley lists at nexus6.co.za
Thu Nov 15 14:45:26 CET 2007

Hello,

I would like to know if it is currently possible to do the following:

For e.g -
I have a Nagios system that monitors all of our customer servers and
each customers' hosts are grouped by company name.
Any alerts generated are sent to that host group's associated contact
group which has that company's staff as contacts.
What would be really useful, is if a customer could log in and only view
and make changes to those hosts that are in their host group, i.e lock
that customer down to
the hosts and services that concern them, isolating them from rest of
the monitored hosts and customers in the interface.
As it stands now, any customer could log in and view any other
customers' hosts and possibly make changes depending on permissions
granted to that user.
Obviously not an ideal situation and something preventing us from
granting customer access to Nagios.

I have read through the auth sections of the docs but as far as I can
tell it only seems possible to limit use of certain commands and set
privledge levels by user/group. Perhaps I misssed something..
Is this something that can be configured with a present version of
Nagios or if not, will this be possible in future releases?
This would be really handy for us as customers could essentially log in
and deal with their own alerts instead of requesting our support team to
disable an alert and re-enable when the issue is resolved.

Any input would be much appreciated..

Thanks.

Andy.