Nagios performance query

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Fri Nov 9 17:41:32 CET 2007

(Disclosure - I'm giving an invited talk at LISA next week on Nagios)

I'm trying to determine the maximum active check rate that Nagios can
sustain on a given system. I'm rather surprised that I can't seem to get
more than about 3 checks per second. Am I just being dense? (I haven't
used anything but passive checks for years now, so my active check foo
is stale...)

Nagios config settings (testing with 2.9, which is what we're using in
production):

service_inter_check_delay_method=0.01 (tried s as well...)
service_interleave_factor=s
host_inter_check_delay_methos=0.01 (tried s as well)
max_concurrent_checks=0
service_reaper_frequency=1
sleep_time=0.01

performance stats show svc execution at 0 / .8 / .459, svc latency at 0
/ 10467.99 / 4475.5599 (3 hours after launch, with only 32708 / 50000
services checked)

I never see more than 9 nagios procs at once. The config is large (5000
hosts with 10 services each). The service checks are a simple c program
that sleeps for half a second then returns OK.

Is this really the best Nagios can do, or am I missing something?

--
Carson