Experience with 3.0b6 ... most good but a few tiny probs [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Fri Nov 9 04:47:27 CET 2007

Dear Folks,

I am writing to present my observations on 3.0b6.

The synopsis is excellent but there are a few non show-stopping
problems.

Firstly, the performance of host detection is simply excellent and those
contemplating mega installations should take great heart. As soon as the
service check complete the max_checks, the host down notifications are
unlaunched.

The developer/s have done a great job (as usual).

For our site, it used to take nearly 2 minutes after service checks
failed to detect down hosts.

Problems

1 ARG macros with ePN (may be without)

$ARG$s appear to be instantiated differently to 2.x, and in such a way
as to cause Perl plugins using Getopt (ie expecting args) to barf if
called without args.

Workaround: command_name!" " in services.cfg

2 Aberrant intermittent ePN behaviour

Fri Nov  9 14:30:59 2007 Warning:  Check of service 'Redundant link is
operational' on host 'TRASW210' did not exit properly!

This happens occasionally. Restart sorts it. Plugins _known_ to be good
with ePN in 2.x/passed by new_mini_epn (which prob needs revising).

3 global_event_handler strangeness

Not sure if this is bad, but Nag log shows

Thu Nov  8 21:04:28 2007 GLOBAL HOST EVENT HANDLER:
NDCSW209;(null);(null);(null);global_host_event_handler

when global event handler runs.

Event handler still called with the same args and seems to do the 'right
thing'.

>From my point of view, problem 2 is a concern (PITA to use the
verancular). Looks like I will be trawling checks.c for the origin of
this message.

Thank you,

Yours sincerely.
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED