How to fix Nagios Segmentation Fault at startup ???

Yana Millis yana.millis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 01:56:56 CET 2007

Hello !
My nagios segmentation faults on me at start up.
When I start it with "service nagios start" command, the error I'm
getting is displayed thusly:
"Starting nagios:/etc/init.d/nagios: line 121:  4718 Segmentation
fault      $NagiosBin -d $NagiosCfgFile"
whereby $NagiosBin resolves to /usr/bin/nagios and $NagiosCfgFile
resolves to /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg.

Obviously, /etc/init.d/nagios exists. The pre-flight check of
nagios.cfg doesn't return any errors. And the
nagios.log file doesn't have any constructive feedback, except for one
line saying "[1194569016] Nagios 2.9 starting... (PID=4718)"

So my question is: how do I begin debugging this issue and where do I
look first ? Is there any way I can modify
nagios configuration to make it output more detailed stuff to the log ?
Can anybody please stir me in the right direction ....

thanks alot,

yana