Nagios service latency

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Sat Nov 3 04:31:07 CET 2007

On 30/10/07 08:29 AM, Marc Powell wrote:

> [...]

Something that can help as well is having the host check return as fast
as possible. On my servers I use check_icmp (faster than check_ping
since it has native ICMP support), the check sends only one ping and
timeout after one second (the minimum):

# 'check_host-alive' command definition
define command{
  command_name check-host-alive
  command_line $USER1$/check_icmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 300.00,80% -c
500.00,100% -p 1 -t 1
}

If you have a few routers down you can also alleviate the load by
disabling active checks on them until they're back up (otherwise each
failing service check on them will force running a 1-second host check
in serial).

The definitive answer to your problem will be in Nagios 3 with host
check caching...

Thomas