nrpe timesout!

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 2 10:31:53 CET 2007

alexus wrote:
> i assume instead of check_http -a 10.10.10.34 you mean whatever is in
> nrpe.cfg for check_http command, so i'm showing you whats in there and
> i'm trying to execute that command and it works fine, but not through
> nrpe...
>
> # grep check_http ~nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg
> command[check_http]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_http -I $ARG1$ -e 200
> # /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_http -I 10.10.10.34 -e 200
> HTTP OK HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 299 bytes in 0.002 seconds
> |time=0.002095s;;;0.000000 size=299B;;;0
> #
2 things:

1. Are you running this as root? The # at the beginning of the line
suggests so. Try running it as the user account that nrpe runs as.

2. You are passing args through nrpe, this is not good practice. It also
will not work unless you have dont_blame_nrpe=1 in your nrpe.cfg on the
remote host against which you are executing the nrpe call. I would
recommend not passing args but instead defining more check_commands with
the args already in them, this is more secure as it is more tightly
controlled.

-h