Nagios Huge Installation (15000 hosts) - Problem

Alexander Bespalov bespalov at sovintel.ru
Thu Nov 1 08:20:31 CET 2007

Hi,

We are trying to use Nagios to monitor (just ping) very large network (15000
hosts).

We have 20 Nagios processes which perform active checks (average 650 hosts
per process with 15 minutes check interval) and 1 Nagios process which
accepts passive checks (all the processes currently running on a single
server HP DL580, 4 dual core CPU, 8GB RAM). All the processes configured
with use_large_installation_tweaks option. All the processes have 3.0b5
version.

There are no problems with active processes, all the checks are in time.

But the central process have the problems:
1. External command bufer constantly grows up (current limit is 131072).
2. There are a lot of files in checkresults directory (every file probably
have larger size then previous).
3. Host status updates are out of time.

I think the the main problem is in the check_result_reaper_frequency=10 and
max_check_result_reaper_time=60 parameters in the central process. Could you
please recommend me proper values for this parameters?

Thank you!

--
Alexander Bespalov
Golden Telecom, Moscow, Russia