Send notification if state doesn't change

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Wed May 30 16:57:22 CEST 2007

For notification_interval to work Nagios must receive another passive
check or send another active check. Here's an example showing how it works:

In this example:
- check frequency is 5 minutes
- notification interval is 6 minutes

On a service failure you would get:

0m Service enters HARD CRITICAL state
0m Nagios sends notification
5m Service still in HARD CRITICAL state
5m Nagios not sending notifications because less than 6 minutes have passed
6m Nothing happens because the next check is scheduled at 10 minutes
10m Service still in HARD CRITICAL state
10m Nagios sends notification

For passive checks you should enable freshness checking so that if no
checks comes in Nagios will keep things going.

If you really want one notification per passive check and/or your
passive checks only comes in when there's a problem (ex. SNMP traps)
then what you'll want is to set-up a volatile service. With volatile
services you can still play with active/passive and freshness settings
to change the exact behavior, so I recommend that you experiment
yourself until you get the desired results.

Thomas