$HOSTSTATE$ remains as Down?

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Wed May 23 05:32:56 CEST 2007

On 22/05/07 01:02 PM, Wil Schultz wrote:
> Looks like I may have misstated my problem, apparently I was simply
> not receiving the HOST UP email thanks to my fat fingers mucking up
> the hosts.cfg
>
> What is happening is that I am seeing a DOWN notification every
> minute, this is why I thought I was getting the wrong alert. I've got
> a v2.7 box up and running quite nicely and I've compared the configs
> and do not see any differences. Obviously I am missing something
> here, any suggestions why DOWN notifications are being sent every
> minute?

Are you sure the host check is functioning properly? (try running the
command defined in commands.cfg manually; you will have to manually
expand the macros.)

Could you send a relevant part of the history for that host?

Also, looks like you're running regularly scheduled checks. Is that what
really you want? Nagios 3 support running host checks in parallel and
host state caching, but in Nagios 2 you will likely not benefit from
running regularly scheduled host check and their serialized nature can
easily cause service latency issues.

Thomas