decreasing sensitivity of host (down) checks?

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue May 15 20:57:21 CEST 2007

On 15/05/07, Frost, Mark {PBG} <mark.frost1 at pepsi.com> wrote:
> > Recently, some of the teams who get the alerts have asked if they
> > could not get host UP/DOWN alerts if the boxes are down for less than
> > 10 minutes.  (These are windows boxes being rebooted).  They've
> > indicated that they don't care about a box being rebooted, but they
> > would care if the box went down and stayed down for longer than 10
> > minutes.

I would say that if the host is being rebooted, that should be a
scheduled outage.   You should submit a scheduled outage in Nagios for
the period around the time the reboot is going to happen, then during
this time the notifications will not be sent.  There are plenty of
scripts available on nagiosexchange.org which allow you easily to
automate this in cron for outages which are scheduled for the same
time each day/week/whatever.

I'm not 100% familiar with the logic of when host checks are done, but
like you I've tried increasing the no. of retries for host checks to
do the same thing and it hasn't worked for the same reason.  If you
really don't want to use scheduled outages, one way (which might not
be the best way but would work) would be to use escalation.  You could
have the initial notification go to /dev/null and only send the
escalation some minutes later to the real email or pager address.

I take the view that if a server is being rebooted and it isn't
scheduled I want to know about it.  If someone runs a server in such a
way that it is being rebooted willy-nilly, they don't deserve to have
out of hours support for it!   In that case I don't configure it to
forward any notifications to our on-call team.