No output returned from plug-in

Williams, John John.Williams at bowebellhowell.com
Mon May 14 21:08:38 CEST 2007

I am having an issue with a new nagios server where some of the plugins
are showing "No output returned from plugin" on the nagios webpage. The
check that is running is a command that is defined on the remote host in
nrpe.cfg.

I looked around the archives and didn't find anything that would fix the
problem that I am having.

I am running Debian Linux, Apache2, and Nagios 1.4.

Each remote machine is running nrpe and as the user "nagios" I can
manually run the check_nrpe -H hostname -c command and it works fine.
It's when I am running the command through the webpage that it doesn't
work.

The new nagios server is replacing a nagios 1.3 server, which ran fine (
the hardware is out of warranty which is why we are replacing it ).

Each remote host has the IP address of the new nagios server defined in
nrpe.cfg and nrpe has been restarted on the remote hosts.

Doing a tail -f /var/log/nagios/nagios.log will show the command being
executed, but no reply data.

Nagios was installed using the Debian "apt-get", so it was a
pre-packaged bundle from Debian.

All plugins have been installed.

On the backup nagios 1.4 server (I am using linux clustering) all checks
work fine. I can't find anything different between file ownership,
permissions, etc... with the 1.4 server that is working and the 1.4
server that isn't.

All checks are being done on the same subnet, so routing isn't an issue.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. If you need more
info on my config I would be happy to post it.

Thanks in advance