NRPE: Unable to read output

Richard Solid richardsolid at gmail.com
Fri May 11 17:18:14 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to use the NRPE package to monitor the resources of remote
computers.

I'm using Fedora Core 3 as one of my clients with the following packages:

nagios-plugins-nrpe-2.5.2-1.fc3.rf
nagios-nrpe-2.5.2-1.fc3.rf

When I test from this fedora client machine I get the following error:

[root at plugins]# ./check_nrpe -H mydomain.org  -c check_load

NRPE: Unable to read output

This is the content of the /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe file:

service nrpe
{
        flags           = REUSE
        type            = UNLISTED
        port            = 5666
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = nagios
        group           = nagios
        server          = /usr/sbin/nrpe
        server_args     = -c /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg --inetd
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable         = no
        only_from       = x.x.x.x
}

The x.x.x.x isthe IP of the client machine since I'm doing testing. I will
change it later to the monitor machine that runs nagios.

This is the content of the /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg
================================

pid_file=/var/run/nrpe.pid

server_port=5666

nrpe_user=nagios

nrpe_group=nagios

dont_blame_nrpe=0

debug=1

command_timeout=60

command[check_users]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_users -w 5 -c 10
command[check_load]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c
30,25,20
command[check_disk1]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 20 -c 10 -p
/dev/hda1
command[check_disk2]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 20 -c 10 -p
/dev/hdb1
command[check_zombie_procs]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_procs -w 5 -c 10
-s Z
command[check_total_procs]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_procs -w 150 -c 200

This is the content of the /var/log/secure log:

May 11 10:57:48 hostname xinetd[29902]: START: nrpe pid=30509 from=x.x.x.x

This is what I get when restarting the nrpe service:

Shutting down Nagios NRPE daemon (nrpe):                   [FAILED]
Starting Nagios NRPE daemon (nrpe):                        [  OK  ]

This is what the /var/log/messages log is saying when trying to restart the
nrpe service:

May 11 11:05:06 hostname nrpe: nrpe shutdown failed
May 11 11:05:06 hostname nrpe[30554]: INFO: SSL/TLS initialized. All network
traffic will be encrypted.
May 11 11:05:06 hostname nrpe[30555]: Starting up daemon
May 11 11:05:06 hostname nrpe[30555]: Network server bind failure (98:
Address already in use)
May 11 11:05:06 hostname nrpe: nrpe startup succeeded

When I do a  ps -aux | grep nrpe I dont see the deamon by the name nrpe
running but when I do a ps for xinetd, xinetd is running

I installed this package on othermachines I I get the same problem.

Also, the only plugin listed under /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/ is check_nrpe

Do i need to see other plugins listed like check_load or check_disk. Or
these are only switches that are used by check_nrpe?

If this is a permission issue which I dont think so because when installing
these packes they should take care of the permissions and ownership, can
someone provide me with all the paths and permissions of each file, how they
should look like?

Any inputs?

THANKS!