Notification on Stalk

Petersen, Mark MPetersen at gs1us.org
Wed May 9 00:32:03 CEST 2007

This is an interesting solution I haven't seen suggested before.  I
could have multiple services where criticals are set at different
levels.

However, this will mess up statistics some and only works disk checks,
or some sort of incremental check.  Consider the RAID for stalking from
the nagios2 manual.

Check #:	Service State:	Service Check Output:
x	OK		RAID array optimal
x+1	OK		RAID array optimal
x+2	WARNING	RAID array degraded (1 drive bad, 1 hot spare
rebuilding)
x+3	CRITICAL	RAID array degraded (2 drives bad, 1 hot spare
online, 1 hot spare rebuilding)
x+4	CRIICAL	RAID array degraded (3 drives bad, 2 hot spares online)
x+5	CRITICAL	RAID array failed
x+6	CRITICAL	RAID array failed
x+7	CRITICAL	RAID array failed

I want to get notified at x+2,x+3,x+4 and x+5.  I don't want to have a
service that checks specifically for each level of degradation as that
would get to be a ridiculous amount of service checks.

Now conisder this (more like the original question)
Check #	State		Output
x		OK		OK - Disk usage less than 85%
x+1,2,3,4	Warning	WARNING - Disk is 86% full
x+5,6,7	Warning	WARNING - Disk is 87% full
x+8,9,10	Warning	WARNING - Disk is 88% full

I want to receive a single notification at x+1,x+5,x+8, etc.  I don't
want to have 16 service checks for each mount point (one at
85,86,87,etc.) as that would get out of control quickly.  Still seems
like volatile services and passive checks is the best answer at this
point.

Thanks,
mark