nagios 2.8 + NDO 1.4b2 + NDO2DB = high service latency

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu May 3 22:07:53 CEST 2007

On 03/05/07, Janet Post <Janet.Post at excapsa.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is anyone else experiencing high service latency when using NDOUtils?
> If I disable the event broker in the nagios config file, I have service
> latency of 0.00/1.59/0.592.  When the event broker is running, the
> service latency jumps to 389+ seconds.
>

> Has anyone else experienced (and hopefully fixed) this anomaly?

I find that ndoutils sometimes slows my Nagios server down because
it's busy deleting old records from some of the tables.  I found that
tuning the MySQL database in various ways helped (not that I know much
about MySQL), and reducing the number of days data retained helped a
bit too.

I can recommend phpMyAdmin if like me you're not all that familiar
with MySQL.  It can show you what SQL is currently running and has a
few tuning features which are easy to use.

I'm currently thinking it might help a fair bit if I put the MySQL
database on another server.  I haven't gotten around to doing that yet
though.

My server is quite busy even when ndoutils isn't running.  I don't
think the burden of running ndoutils is huge, but for me it's enough
to tip it over from latency of 5 seconds or so when I'm not running
ndoutils to 30 seconds or more at times when I am.

Cheers,

Jim