Different results from 'check_snmp' running on different servers

Richard Luys-Nagios User nagios at thebug.demon.nl
Thu May 3 15:25:32 CEST 2007

Thomas,

Thanks for your swift reply!

I've been digging deeper into the hell called SNMP, and found out what the
problem is:
The NET-SNMP commands return these two errors:

Cannot find module (SNMPv2-TC-v1): At line 11 in
/usr/share/snmp/mibs/CISCO-ENVMON-MIB.txt
Cannot find module (SNMPv2-SMI-v1): At line 10 in
/usr/share/snmp/mibs/CISCO-SMI.txt

Strange thing is: SNMPv2-TC and SNMPv2-SMI are available, but not these
'-v1' variants. Even stranger is that the 'oldNagios' server doesn't have
these modules either, but does not complain. So the WARNING is indeed
issued by the underlying snmpget command and does not indicate a problem
with the monitored device.

Regarding not being able to monitor a status change on these OID's: I
think you are right. I did not create these checks but one of my
colleagues did, and I will give him the OID's you suggested to monitor so
we can improve these checks.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Regards,
Richard