Different results from 'check_snmp' running on different servers

Richard Luys-Nagios User nagios at thebug.demon.nl
Thu May 3 12:06:40 CEST 2007

Hi list,

I have an odd problem, hope someone can shed some light on this.

I'm busy installing a new Nagios server. The old one is running Nagios
1.2, and the new one is running 2.9. The used nagios plugins on the old
server is version 1.3.1, on the new server it is: 1.4.8.

I issue the following check from the old server (the 1.2):

oldNagios:/usr/local/nagios/libexec # ./check_snmp -H switch1 -o
ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusDescr.1005
SNMP OK - Switch#1, Sensor#1, Status is GREEN

The exitcode of this check is 0 (OK)

newNagios:/usr/local/nagios/libexec # ./check_snmp -H switch1 -o
ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusDescr.1005
SNMP WARNING - Switch#1, Sensor#1, Status is GREEN

Now the exitcode is 1 (WARNING) !!!

Then I issue this check from the new server (the 2.9 installation), but
with the old plugin (1.3.1):
newNagios:/usr/local/nagios/libexec.131 # ./check_snmp -H switch1 -o
ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusDescr.1005
SNMP WARNING - Switch#1, Sensor#1, Status is GREEN

And again: the exitcode is 1 (WARNING)

I copied the commands and output directly from the respective Putty
sessions, and no, there was no state change between the different
commands. The oldNagios still tells me all checks are green on this
switch, and the newNagios still shows me WARNING states.

I'm completely flabbergasted, any ideas???

TIA,
Richard