Passive monitoring is running slow?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed May 2 23:38:55 CEST 2007

Absolutely not.

> Nagios and I am completely dumbfounded at this. If you can't service
> even a quarter (and probably even a tenth) of the amount of hosts and
> services on a distributed server than you can on a regular active
server
> then what is the point of having a distributed model at all?

I have 5 data collector machines running nagios
-and- cricket for thousands of services each with nagios reporting all
results back to two central hosts as documented. Average latency is
0.689 seconds and Max of 3.65 seconds right now. The distributed server
should be performing exactly like a regular active server as far as
latency stats are concerned. You're either starving nagios for resources
needed to run its active checks (run ~nagios/bin/nagios -s
~nagios/etc/nagios.cfg to see recommended settings) or, less likely,
something is wrong with your submit-check-result. If you submit a result
from the command line, does it complete in a timely manner? If you
disable OCSP does the latency go away? Basic troubleshooting dictates
you should try methodically enabling features on your distributed
machine to turn it from an active-only server to active submitting check
results via OCSP.

Disable OCSP program-wide (nagios.cfg)
Test
Enable OCSP but have your OCSP script do everything except call
send_nsca
Test
Enable send_nsca in your OCSP script.
Test

Do you have regular host checks enabled? Post the output of nagios -v
and nagios -s.

--
Marc