Passive monitoring is running slow?

Jonathan Call jcall at verio.net
Tue May 1 23:15:54 CEST 2007

I have set up a distributed monitoring system per the Nagios documentation.

I initially tested it out by having the distributed server monitor only 24 or so services on about 8 hosts. There didn't seem to be any problems.

I then cranked it up to 427 services on 81 hosts. I'm watching the distributed server right now and there is hardly any system load but the Service Check Latency seems extremely high:

Metric			Min.		Max.		Average
Check Execution Time:  	0.05 sec	1.67 sec	0.701 sec
Check Latency:		60.40 sec	287.36 sec	184.514 sec
Percent State Change:	0.00%		0.00%		0.00%

This is resulting in 50% or less of the service checks completing in the 5 minutes or less timeframe.

The Central server has had no significant change in performance at all and seems to be receiving and processing everything without difficulty.

The nsca server on the central server is running with the following arguments:
/usr/local/sbin/nsca --daemon -c /usr/local/etc/nsca.cfg

The submit_check_result script on the distributed server is right out of the documentation.

Encryption within nsca has been reduced to simple XOR with a password.

Is there any way to optimize the send_nsca features or is that high of a Service Check Latency not a big deal?

Jonathan