check_cpu_usage plugin?

ffwqe efwa johndoe123 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 23:10:27 CEST 2007

Andy,

I was under the impression that load was more indicative on process-wait for
cpu cycles and general system performance than actual cpu usage.  For
example, heavy processor wait on disk IO could cause high load without
actually consuming CPU usage, amongst other things.  Am I incorrect?

If I can rely on check_load to return .50 in a 5 minute average if 50% of
the cpu is used for five minute straight this should work for me needs.  My
gut feeling tells me it never quite works this way.  Additionally, can't a
momentary amount of high load (greater than 1.0 or 100% cpu) cause a number
above 1/100% to be averaged in and cause these measurements to be off?

Although it could be nice to monitor cpus individually in a multi-cpu system
for hung processes, etc, I can live without this if check_load works nicely.

Thanks!