Nagios communication with client

Duncan Ferguson duncan.ferguson at altinity.com
Thu Mar 29 10:53:18 CEST 2007

On 29 Mar 2007, at 09:39, UnixAdmin wrote:

> We are interested in using Nagios, and would like to know how
> Nagios communicates with clients to run monitoring scripts.

In short; however you configure it ;-)

In essence there are 3 ways

1) nagios server runs checks on a client, such as is this port open
and listening, can the server be pinged, etc

2) nagios server runs a check on the client and obtains result, such
as via SNMP, or via a daemon running on the client that listens for
nagios requests (NRPE).  A large number of check are available
already (http://nagiosplug.sf.net and http://www.nagiosexchange.org)
and it is easy enough to write them for yourself

3) the client runs the checks itself periodically and sends the
result back to the server, which the server then processes (NSCA)

The communications between server and client are again down to how
you set up nagios (i.e. encrypted using ssl for NRPE/NSCA or just use
ssh when doing your own scripts).

Nagios can begin as a simple setup but can also cope with hideously
complex situations (distributed setup, parent/child relations ships,
too many to list...).

    Duncs

--
Duncan Ferguson