check_ping

Thomas Stocking tstocking at groundworkopensource.com
Wed Mar 28 21:36:12 CEST 2007

In general I like check_icmp better, though it's requirement for setuid
root are kind of scary. I did find that it is faster than check_ping,
and that the old check_ping had a problem with some of the icmp response
codes that check_icmp did not have.
The speed issue is especially important if you are trying to optimize
blocking host checks.

This definition works for host checks:

define command {
	command_name			check-host-alive
	command_line			$USER1$/check_icmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -n 1
}

for a service check, I use basically the same thing:

define command {
	command_name			check-icmp
	command_line			$USER1$/check_icmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -n 5
}

Check ping is almost the same:

define command {
	command_name			check_ping
	command_line			$USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p 5
}

Note the -p for number of pings changes to -n in check_icmp.

    Thomas