Child host notify status problem

James Tran james at nttmcl.com
Wed Mar 28 00:26:25 CEST 2007

Thomas Stocking wrote:
> James,
> Nagios should be setting the dependent hosts to an unreachable status
> when the parent host is down. This is the logic that allows you to
> suppress notification for hosts being down "downstream" of a router
> that fails.
> The most common problem I have seen with this is that the host notify
> options are actually set to tell you when the host is Unreachable.
> Take the "U" out of the host notifiy options, and you should not see
> this happen any more.
> If, however, the hosts are set to status DOWN, then something else is
> going on. You may be overloading Nagios, or some other inhibitor is
> affecting it's ability to set the dependent hosts Unreachable.
>    Thomas
>
> James Tran wrote:
>> Hi i have some parent/child settings on my hosts
>>
>> All of my servers are set to be child hosts to 1 ROUTER. I had tried
>> to test my notifications by unplugging the ethernet interface on the
>> server running nagios to see if i get a million host notifications
>> and of course i still do.
>>
>> I wanted it to setup to check if the router is down first before
>> sending any notifications from the children hosts. For some reason
>> though the child hosts keep sending both service and host
>> notifications through even though it knows the router is down. So
>> every time it knows the router is down it still sending about 50
>> emails to me saying all my hosts are down.
>>
>> I even tried to double it up by setting host dependencies up by
>> setting all hosts dependent to the router but they still send
>> notifications.
>>
>> Is there any little setting in here i'm forgetting?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

>> Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to
>> share your
>> opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

>> reporting any issue. ::: Messages without supporting info will risk
>> being sent to /dev/null

Yeah i double checked to see if the unreachable status was taken off but
it wasn't. So i removed them from all hosts and for some crazy reason...
still getting host down messages. this is driving me nuts. What are the
default permission and owners on the nagios files? maybe i have them
different cause i'm running a frontend called oreon.