service timeout

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Mar 28 00:07:45 CEST 2007

Standard plugins mostly support a -t switch to specify the timeout for
the plugin. The nagios.cfg service check timeout is a catch-all for
those that don't terminate themselves when they should. Ideally, each
command definition would have a specific timeout for each plugin defined
with -t and the nagios.cfg timeout would be the max possible value of
your timeouts. In that scenario individual plugins would have unique
timeout values and your max would catch any runaways. You could go
further with that and actually pass the timeout value as a $ARGx$ macro
to the command from your service definition allowing you very specific
granularity in your timeout control.

Since the duration of the run-time for your check is so long, I agree
that it probably makes more sense to either run it out of cron and have
it submit a passive check result or have it update a file that you then
parse as an active check in nagios.

--
Marc