RHEL4 selinux and nagios

Onotsky, Steve x55328 Steve_Onotsky at adp.com
Tue Mar 27 19:02:38 CEST 2007

Our current Nagios install (2.0b2) is running on an RHEL3 box.  I'm setting
up a new instance (2.8) on RHEL4; I set SELinux to "Warn" at install time,
so that we don't get confused trying to figure out why things aren't working
(we haven't had much need for SE before, but are starting to look at it
now).

On a somewhat-related note, if anyone is installing RHEL4 into a VM under
VMware ESX 2.5, you've likely encountered the issue where the guest OS clock
lags behind real time, even with ntp and VM guest clock sync set up.  The
fix, as I've discovered, is to update ESX to v2.5.4 build 36502 (three patch
bundles from a stock 2.5.0 install).  Apparently the issue doesn't affect
ESX 3.0+, but we haven't tested - waiting for FY08 to start so we can start
spending the budget and upgrade.  :-)

Just thought I'd share...

Steve Onotsky

Server Support Technologist