Adding "information" to certain services

Andrew Cruse andrew at profitability.net
Mon Mar 19 21:55:45 CET 2007

Patrick - South Valley Internet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're migrating from our old monitoring system, Big Brother (VERY old
> version) to Nagios, and one of the things we would like to see port
> over to our Nagios install is the ability to view information, or
> documentation on certain hosts.  For example, we're monitoring our
> ds3 connection, and in case of an emergency, we would like to have
> somewhere inside Nagios that would tell us the emergency number for
> our provider, any reference #'s we need to provide, etc.
>
> Is this a possibility in Nagios?

Two ways spring immediately to mind.  First, you can attach notes to a host
or service that appear when you click on the host or service.  It's nice for
quick notes, but doesn't offer much in the way of organization.

Second, using host or service extended info feature, you can include an icon
and link that appears in the status screens.  Clicking the icon will take
you to the URL of your choice, which can of course contain whatever you
need.  I maintain a "website" for each host which is populated with any
relevant info for that particular host.

Andrew