[Nagiosplug-help] [Fwd: nagios 2.7 - 2.8 problem]

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sat Mar 17 10:35:25 CET 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Di Giambelardini Gabriele wrote:

>> hi to all, i have a problem with nagios 2.7.- 2.8 on redhat ES 4
>>
>> the problem:
>> I have a plugin that check the write access for oracle tables, if I start
>> nagios without any files in /var/log/nagios the check is ok, and nagios
>> understand the return code of the check, but if i stop and start nagios
>> and i lounch the script by hand it go well, instead nagios don't uderstand
>> the retur code and give "error database". so i must stop nagios, delete
>> all file in /var/log/nagios, start again nagios and all go well.
>> somebody can give me some ideas fo this problem?
>> I'll send you the nagios.cfg end the plugin
>
> Hi to all, i success to found the exactly error.. the error is:
> if i start-stop-restart nagios using "server nagios stop-start-restart"
> nagios not understand any more the result of check.
> if i reboot the server, and i have at te runlevel 3 S99nagios, nagios not
> understand che result of check. On if i longin such a root user end then
> louch /etc/init.d/nagios stop-start-restart, nagios work fine!!
> some body have some ideas?? i try to set root anviroment in a script that
> then lounch nagios, but nothing to do!!!

I think the options you use are not valid.

Also using the restart option may result in issues with duplicate
processes and such.

Stopping and starting services is a admin job so needs to be done as root
or user with equivalent rights.

For small config changes I use:
 	service nagios reload

For bigger issues I check Nagios configs at least twice and then do:
 	service nagios stop
 	sleep 10
 	service nagios start

To get yourself into trouble use:
 	service nagios restart.

Untill someone puts a sleep command in the nagios service file.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)