problem with check_jmx plugin working

Rob Blake rob.blake at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 10:19:32 CET 2007

On 3/15/07, ramyareddy pogula <ramyareddypogula at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> thank you..how do i check the class path?i have tried ll possiblities but
> i get the same error..
> I d be grateful if you d help me out in this
>
> *Rob Blake <rob.blake at gmail.com>* wrote:
>

> On 3/15/07, ramyareddy pogula <ramyareddypogula at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >      I have a problem in installing the nagios add on plug-in, check_jmx
> > I get the following error.
> >
> > [root at sys79 libexec]# ./check_jmx Exception in thread "main"
> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org.nagios.JMXQuery
> >    at java.lang.Class.initializeClass (libgcj.so.7)
> >    at java.lang.Class.forName (libgcj.so.7)
> >    at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run (libgcj.so.7)
> > Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException :
> > javax.management.remote.JMXServiceURL not found in
> > gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:./jmxquery.jar], parent=
> > gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
> >    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass (libgcj.so.7)
> >    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass (libgcj.so.7)
> >    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass (libgcj.so.7)
> >    at java.lang.Class.initializeClass (libgcj.so.7)
> >    ...2 more
> >
> >   can any one please help me out?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Yep, it can't find the class org.nagios.JMXQuery. Make sure that it is on
> your classpath.
>
> Rob

Please keep this conversation on List.

The class it is looking for is javax.management.remote.JMXServiceURL. Now it
depends on what version of the JDK you are running as to what you need to
do. JDK 5 and above include the JMX libraries so you will simply need to
update your classpath variable so that it includes the JMXServiceURL class.

If you're not sure how to update your classpath or how it effects your java
settings, take a look at this:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/tooldocs/win32/classpath.html

If you have JDK < 1.5, you will need to download a JMX implementation. There
are lots around so you do have a choice as to what you use, but the Sun
reference implementation is available here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/core/mntr-mgmt/javamanagement/download.jsp

Rob