SMTP/IMAP/POP3 checks

Sjaak Nabuurs sjaak at vsm-hosting.nl
Fri Mar 16 09:17:27 CET 2007

Hi Luca

You can check with check_smtp if smtp ports are reacting, but this wil not tell you
that your mail handling is correctly.

There's a plugin for this check "check_email_loop.pl"
It can be download from www.nagiosexchange.com

Maybe this is a solution for you.
I didn't use it for myself but.......

# Example: check_email_loop.pl -poph=mypop -popu=user -pa=password
#     -smtph=mailer -from=returnadress at yoursite.com
#     -to=remaileradress at friend.com -pendc=2 -lostc=0

# This example will send eacht time this check is executed a new
# mail to remaileradress at friend.com using the SMTP-Host mailer.
# Then it looks for any back-forwarded mails in the POP3 host
# mypop. In this Configuration CRITICAL state will be reached if
# more than 2 Mails are pending (meaning that they did not came
# back till now) or if a mails got lost (meaning a mail, that was
# send later came back prior to another mail).
(...)

Good luck

Sjaak