Option append_to_file in nsca.cfg

Wheeler, JF (Jonathan) J.F.Wheeler at rl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 15 10:46:02 CET 2007

Powell

command_check_interval
> setting. You certainly want that to be -1 and not
> every 4 seconds. -1 tells nagios to check as often as possible.
>
> Depending on your check frequency, it sounds like nagios isn't able to
> keep up with your check submissions, almost certainly related to your
> checking the pipe every 4 seconds only. At ~100 bytes per check, you
> could only accept 40 results in 4 seconds before dropping. If you're
> doing 16,000 checks every 5 minutes that's ~213 check results every 4
> seconds. You can do the math based on your actual sizes/intervals...
>
> Verify that you have a good amount of buffer slots (use nagiostats to
> see current utilization) and that you're checking external commands as
> fast as possible.
>
> I'm only doing 1/4 of the passive checks you are so you may be hitting
> limits that I haven't experienced yet but it doesn't appear so at this
> point.

Sorry, I think that I have confused the discussion by not appreciating
the difference between service_reaper_frequency (which is 4 secs) and
command_check_interval (which is -1).
After restarting nagios this morning (Thur 15/03 - the master server had
panic'ed due to lack of memory), I issued the command "wc -l
/var/log/nagios/rw/nagios.cmd" and got the answer 1003 (this is command
pipe).  If I understand you correctly, there were 1003 commands in the
pipe waiting to be processed by the server (understandable as the master
server had just restarted and the slaves had plenty of commands waiting
to be processed), but the operation of command wc actually discarded
these commands by reading through the pipe.

At present I am running nagios 2.6.  I want to upgrade to nagios 2.8,
but as I also use ndoutils I need to compile the latest version of that
and update the SQL tables that it writes.  If the problem does not go
away with the latest version of the server, I will raise the issues
again, but nay other comments would be much appreciated.

Jonathan Wheeler
e-Science Centre
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory