Service Notifications Stopped

Ben James ben at directshop.com.au
Wed Mar 14 03:06:58 CET 2007

Hi all,

I'm hoping you may be able to give me some insight into a problem I'm
having with my Nagios configuration.

I have approximately 20 hosts with 35 services set up, with
notifications only set to send for service alerts. This was all working
fine up until a couple of weeks ago, when notifications for services
seem to have stopped. Something may have changed in the configuration at
this point, but I have gone back over it all and have not been able to
find the problem.

If I turn on notification for hosts (by replacing 'n' in the host
notification options in the contact definitions with 'u,d') they work
fine, and I did receive a single service notification yesterday for one
particular service, though when I tried to recreate the circumstances, I
didn't receive it again.

It is not a problem with my notification command, as I was using the
same command for the hosts, plus the notification does not even show up
in the event log so it doesn't seem to be even attempting to run it.
This leads me to believe it is failing one of the notification checks,
though I can't for the life of me figure out which one, I've gone
through them multiple times to try to figure it out.

Is there anyway I can get some information on what nagios is doing when
I get a HARD service alert, and where it is deciding it doesn't need to
send a notification?

Thanks,
Ben James.