Problem with check_nis script

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Mar 6 20:21:30 CET 2007

Hi there -

I have installed the check_nis script on our Nagios 2.6 server, and have been
able to manually run it. My next step is getting it to run within Nagios.

The script has been copied to the libexec directory, and I have added a command
definition to the commands.cfg file. Here is the syntax of the entry:

#  'check_nis_space' command definition

define command{

            command_name            /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nis -H space
-d nisdomain

            command_line               /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nis -H
space -d nisdomain

            }

I then went to the services.cfg file and added an entry there for the
aforementioned command. The syntax there is the following:

# Service definition

define service{

       use                             generic-service         ; Name of service
template to use

       host_name                         space

       service_description             Check NIS Service

       is_volatile                           0

       check_period                      24x7

       max_check_attempts          3

       normal_check_interval         5

       retry_check_interval            1

       contact_groups                  linux-admins

       notification_interval              120

       notification_period               24x7

       notification_options            w,u,c,r

       check_command                check_nis_space

       }

When I run the nagios -v check, I get an error message stating that the
check_nis_space check_command in services.cfg is not defined anywhere.

Is there another file(s) that I need to configure to get this to work? Thanks.

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.