NAGIOS 2.3.1 version issues

srikalyan tangirala srikalyan.tangirala at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:55:25 CET 2007

Hi All:
             I'm using NAGIOS 2.3.1 version.Installed and configured it with
authenticated users as nagiosadmin and guest. Now, when I logged in as
nagiosadmin and trying to  check if the services under Monitoring list
works, they dont seem to work and the information that it provides is the
below. I configured the additional permissions to CGI also with system
information, commands, all hosts,services according to the documentation. It
does not seem to work. Can anyone help me? I'm a newbie and need some help.

Whoops!

*Error: Could not read host and service status information!*

The most common cause of this error message (especially for new users), is
the fact that Nagios is not actually running. If Nagios is indeed not
running, this is a normal error message. It simply indicates that the CGIs
could not obtain the current status of hosts and services that are being
monitored. If you've just installed things, make sure you read the
documentation on starting Nagios.

Some other things you should check in order to resolve this error include:

   1. Check the Nagios log file for messages relating to startup or
   status data errors.
   2. Always verify configuration options using the *-v* command-line
   option before starting or restarting Nagios!
   3. Make sure you've compiled the main program and the CGIs to use the
   same status data storage options (i.e. text file or database). If the
   main program is storing status data in a text file and the CGIs are trying
   to read status data from a database, you'll have problems.

 Make sure you read the documentation on installing, configuring and running
Nagios thoroughly before continuing. If all else fails, try sending a
message to one of the mailing

thanks
sri