Recommend hardware specs

Sean Keplinger skeplin at one.net
Thu Mar 1 14:08:07 CET 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, chiel at gmx.net wrote:

> Do you guys agree with this list? The article also said that disk speed
> (scsi) was also very important. I think I will be monitoring 1000>
> hosts. With distributed nagios servers.

I'm running on an HP DL380 (dual 1.4Ghz PIII's) with 2GB RAM. The disks
are SCSI, RAID5. The OS is SLES10. We have about 500 hosts and over 550
service checks.

The load average is 3.01, 1.03, 0.51. Memory usage is about 1.5 GB with
most of that in cache.

>From the results we've seen, the box that I'm using (although fairly old
now) is over powered. Adding more service checks or increasing their
frequency would probably have an impact on overall load.

HTH,
Sean
--
Sean Keplinger              /  Visit my Hiking/Backpacking and Projects
skeplin AT gmail DOT com   /   blog at: http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com/