Time-Saving Tricks For Service Definitions

Caylan Van Larson caylan at mac.com
Fri Jun 29 18:48:59 CEST 2007

Howdy,

I think I've found a bug with the "Object Definition Tricks" found at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/templatetricks.html#service.

Here is my configuration using the tricks above, which works...

define host {
         use                     production-host
         host_name               myhost
         alias                   My Host
         address                 x.x.x.x
         hostgroups              dell-servers
}

define hostgroup{
         hostgroup_name			 dell-servers
         alias           		 Dell Servers
}

define service{
		 name                    dell-hardware
  		 service_description     Dell Hardware
  		 hostgroup_name          dell-servers
  		 contact_groups          sysadmins
  		 check_command           check_nrpe!check_dell
}

Right up until I add back in a legacy host/service definition...

define host {
         use                     production-host
         host_name               newhost
         alias                   New Host
         address                 y.y.y.y
}

define service {
		 use                     dell-hardware
		 host						 newhost
}

Error: Service 'Dell Hardware' on host 'myhost' has already been defined
Error: Could not register service (config file .... newhost.cfg on
line XX)

Question:  Why does "using" dell-hardware in a normal syntax
(remember, my goal is to migrate the old style in red to the new
hostgroups trick style above), is not compatible when the service has
a hostgroup_name defined?  This looks to me like a bug, where it's
trying to redefine the service instead of just using it.

Thoughts?

---

Caylan