nagios scaling and server spec

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Fri Jun 29 16:34:48 CEST 2007

> I am trying to spec some hardware for a nagios environment capable of
> ~5000 hosts, and ~50,000 services.
>
> I am wondering if anyone has any hardware recommendations for the
> active-service-check machines (or polling), and the (hopefully) 1
> centralized passive-service-check recipient.  And, if anyone believes
> the central server can handle that many events.
>
> I currently have an all in one machine monitoring ~600 hosts and ~5000
> services.

There are a lot of variables there I don't know, but it may be difficult
having one box keep up with that many check submissions, depending on
how much overhead you've worked into the system.

It's probably doable, but I've had to hack a lot of checks and restart
scripts onto an installation I've got here with about 1,500 hosts and
10,000 services, and it still can get hairy if a lot goes wrong at once.
We're replacing it with a setup with multiple masters, and that's
working a lot better.