Service Notifications not sending email

Rob Groome groome at ict.usc.edu
Thu Jun 28 00:09:44 CEST 2007

OK.  So I have the following problem.  I receive Host notifications
without any problem - email is working fine on the nagios monitoring
server.  I am not, however receiving service notifications and cannot
figure out what the deal is.  Any help would be appreciated as I
turned over every stone I can think of.  I get the SERVICE
NOTIFICATIONS logged to syslog - but no email sent out.  The
notifications are set to on, the timeperiods are correct and the
contacts and contactgroups are setup properly.

I have changed every possible parameter - except of course the right
one - and still no go.

I am running Nagios 2.9 and my configs follow.

Below are all pertinent configs.  I am sure it is completely simple
and I am missing something completely obvious.....

nagios.cfg:
log_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/commands.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/localhost.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contactgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contacts.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/dependencies.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/escalations.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/servicegroups.cfg
cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/local-configs
cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/security
object_cache_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/objects.cache
resource_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/resource.cfg
status_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.dat
nagios_user=nagios
nagios_group=nagios
check_external_commands=1
command_check_interval=-1
command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
external_command_buffer_slots=4096
comment_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/comments.dat
downtime_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/downtime.dat
lock_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.lock
temp_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.tmp
event_broker_options=-1
log_rotation_method=d
log_archive_path=/usr/local/nagios/var/archives
use_syslog=1
log_notifications=1
log_service_retries=1
log_host_retries=1
log_event_handlers=1
log_initial_states=0
log_external_commands=1
log_passive_checks=1
service_inter_check_delay_method=s
max_service_check_spread=30
service_interleave_factor=s
host_inter_check_delay_method=s
max_host_check_spread=30
max_concurrent_checks=0
service_reaper_frequency=10
check_result_buffer_slots=4096
auto_reschedule_checks=0
auto_rescheduling_interval=30
auto_rescheduling_window=180
sleep_time=0.25
service_check_timeout=60
host_check_timeout=30
event_handler_timeout=30
notification_timeout=30
ocsp_timeout=5
perfdata_timeout=5
retain_state_information=1
state_retention_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/retention.dat
retention_update_interval=60
use_retained_program_state=1
use_retained_scheduling_info=0
interval_length=60
use_aggressive_host_checking=0
execute_service_checks=1
accept_passive_service_checks=1
execute_host_checks=1
accept_passive_host_checks=1
enable_notifications=1
enable_event_handlers=1
process_performance_data=0
obsess_over_services=0
check_for_orphaned_services=1
check_service_freshness=1
service_freshness_check_interval=60
check_host_freshness=0
host_freshness_check_interval=60
aggregate_status_updates=1
status_update_interval=15
enable_flap_detection=0
low_service_flap_threshold=5.0
high_service_flap_threshold=20.0
low_host_flap_threshold=5.0
high_host_flap_threshold=20.0
date_format=us
p1_file=/usr/local/nagios/bin/p1.pl
illegal_object_name_chars=`~!$%^&*|'"<>?,()=
illegal_macro_output_chars=`~$&|'"<>
use_regexp_matching=0
use_true_regexp_matching=0
admin_email=nagios
admin_pager=pagenagios
daemon_dumps_core=0

localhost.cfg: (only pertinent info)
Host and Service Templates:
define host{
         name                            generic-host
         notifications_enabled           1
         event_handler_enabled           1
         flap_detection_enabled          1
         failure_prediction_enabled      1
         process_perf_data               1
         retain_status_information       1
         retain_nonstatus_information    1
         notification_period             24x7
         register                        0
         }

define service{
         name                            generic-service
         active_checks_enabled           1
         passive_checks_enabled          1
         parallelize_check               1
         obsess_over_service             1
         check_freshness                 0
         notifications_enabled           1
         event_handler_enabled           1
         flap_detection_enabled          1
         failure_prediction_enabled      1
         process_perf_data               1
         retain_status_information       1
         retain_nonstatus_information    1
         is_volatile                     0
         register                        0
         }

Time Period Declarations:
define timeperiod{
         timeperiod_name 24x7
         alias           24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A Week
         sunday          00:00-24:00
         monday          00:00-24:00
         tuesday         00:00-24:00
         wednesday       00:00-24:00
         thursday        00:00-24:00
         friday          00:00-24:00
         saturday        00:00-24:00
         }

contacts.cfg:
# 'it' contact definition
define contact{
         contact_name                    it
         alias                           IT Department
         service_notification_period     24x7
         host_notification_period        24x7
         service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
         host_notification_options       d,u,r
         service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
         host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
         email                           it at xxx.com
         }

# 'helpdesk' contact definition
define contact{
         contact_name                    helpdesk
         alias                           ICT Helpdesk
         email                           helpdesk at xxx.com
         }

contactgroups.cfg:
# 'all' contact group definition
define contactgroup{
         contactgroup_name       all
         alias                   ALL Notifications
         members                 it, helpdesk
         }

Host and Service Definition for system:
# 'system1' host definition
define host{
         use                     generic-host            ; Name of
host template to use

         host_name               system1
         alias                   system1
         address                 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
         check_command           check-host-alive
         max_check_attempts      10
         contact_groups          it
         notification_interval   120
         notification_period     24x7
         notification_options    d,u,r
         }

# Service definition
define service{
         use                             generic-service         ;
Name of service template to use

         host_name                      system1
         service_description             Disk - D:
         is_volatile                     0
         check_period                    24x7
         max_check_attempts              3
         normal_check_interval           5
         retry_check_interval            1
         contact_groups                  it
         notification_interval           60
         notification_period             24x7
         notification_options            w,u,c,r
         notifications_enabled           1
         check_command                   check_nt_disk!d!1%!5% ; (I
know this is ridiculous - it's for testing)
         }

When set to the above I get the following in /var/log/messages:
Jun 27 10:44:46 alpha nagios: SERVICE NOTIFICATION: it;system1;Disk -
D:;CRITICAL;notify-by-email;d:\ - total: 213.20 Gb - used: 12.10 Gb
(6%) - free 201.11 Gb (94%)

notify-by-email command definition:
# 'notify-by-email' command definition
define command{
         command_name    notify-by-email
         command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios  *****\n
\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC$
\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\n
\nDate/Time: $DATE$ $TIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$\n
$SERVICEPERFDATA$\n$SERVICEACKCOMMENT\n" | /bin/mail -s "**
$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE
$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
         }

Nothing in the mail.log file about email being sent - or trying to be
sent out.

Any help is appreciated!  I realize that this is probably a simple
fix as I said before - but it is alluding me at the moment.

Thanks!

Rob