How to set the sourceaddress for all checks?

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Tue Jun 26 17:05:52 CEST 2007

[re-send due to sf.net foo]

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 16:30 +0200, Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> Hi,
> if I  am running Nagios on a host with more than one IP address on

I've discussed, many times in the past, the need to be able to
explicitly define the sources address that check plugins transmit from
(TCP, ICMP, UDP at the very least) as part of the Nagios API.

This is part of system-service abstraction.  Big shops do it.

It should probably be transmitted not as a "flag" or "argument" to the
API but as an exported environmental variable to the sub-process.

The most common situation where this is a perquisite is a mission
critical Nagios deployment in an enterprise environment where Nagios
runs in an Active-Standby server configuration.

The present Active server possesses the High-Availability Layer 3 IP
address of the cluster.  All firewalls, ACLs, policies in the network
expect to see Monitoring traffic sourced from the shared Layer 3
address.

These are simple one-line changes does in setsockopt(2) and
getaddrinfo(2)

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?setsockopt++NetBSD-current
http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?getaddrinfo++NetBSD-current

~BAS