MRTG problem

Cyrille Bollu Cyrille.Bollu at fedasil.be
Tue Jun 26 08:57:54 CEST 2007

MRTG has a so-called "threshold checking" functionality where it can call
an external program when a monitored value crosses arbitrary boundaries
(see http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html). Such a
program might well sends passive check results to Nagios (see
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/passivechecks.html) so that it can
handle the notification part.

However, that's all that I'm aware of about integrating those 2 products
together; Which I find too limited. For beter integration, I would suggest
you to use something like Nagiosgrapher together with the check_snmp
nagios plugin. In such a scenario, Nagios does the SNMP monitoring using
the check_snmp plugin then sends performance data (see
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/perfdata.html) that Nagiosgrapher
stores in rrd files. In addition, Nagiosgrapher adds links in the Nagios
interface to rrd graphs (see demo here http://nagios-demo.netways.de/ -
use guest as login and passwd)

Here in my company we set up Nagios & MRTG about 2 years ago and are now
moving to Nagiosgrapher because of this bad integration.

HTH,

Cyrille

nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net a écrit sur 25/06/2007 18:12:49
: