monitoring remote routers on different networks

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Mon Jun 25 23:02:54 CEST 2007

See the Service Dependencies section of the docs.  It sounds like you
want
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, reed wrote:

> I am using nagios 2.9 and monitoring round trip average and packet loss
> using check_ping plugin. I have multiple networks in different physical
> locations.
>
> On one of my nagios servers hosted by a third party, the monitoring often
> alerts me about bad RTA or lots of packet loss for these multiple routers
> at same time.
>
> It appears that the problem is the local network and not the remote
> routers.
>
> How can I add a conditional type configurations so I don't get an alert if
> the multiple remote routers all have same problem at same time?
>
> Or should I check the third-party's local routers also?
>
> Any configuration examples of making it so I don't get alerts for my
> remote routers if the local network has RTA or packet loss problems would
> be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

See the Service Dependencies section of the docs.  It sounds like you
want the remote checks to be dependent on the local ones, and not notify
if the local service is in a warning state.  The examples at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/dependencies.html should give you
a pretty good idea how to do that.