snmp community option in host definition?

Curtis Frazier c.frazier at eastorange.k12.nj.us
Thu Jun 21 17:48:41 CEST 2007

Off the top of my head, maybe the scripts could be edited so that you
could pass the community string to the script from the service
definition. For example, here's one that I use:

define service{
         use                             chkifoperstatus-service
         host_name                       remote-router
         service_description             WAN Link 1
         check_command                   check_ifoperstatus!put-
commstring-here!index!
         }

Also, I could see some possible security concerns with trying
multiple strings.  If someone is sniffing the segment, they could
catch all of your enterprise's strings pretty quickly. Unless you're
using SNMP v3.

Curtis Frazier, Network Manager
East Orange School District
973-266-2371 (voice)