Perf data / Graphs

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Tue Jun 19 23:08:16 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 6/19/2007 5:38 PM, Palle Jensen wrote:
> Arno,
>
>>> As setting all this up takes awhile I will not give you complete
>>> examples
>
> Whatever you set up in Nagios is quite time consuming

Well, I don't think so... getting a host or service configured to
specific needs is rather simple IMO. Getting NagiosGrapher adapted to
lots of different checks is much more time consuming for me, so I can't
simply create an example for you.

> and so far I haven't
> seen anyone in here unwilling to share experience, which I plan to do as
> well once I get a good hang of this. I thought that was what these mailing
> lists was for

I'm not unwilling to share experience, only my experiences won't help you.

>>> (I also don't know what exactly you want to graph...).
> Yes I stated that --> getting performance data from memory, cpu load, disk,
> service, process that can be shown in graphs

Then post, for example, the output you get for the memory checks, and
I'll see how a regex should look that matches parts of the output.

I use check_nt to monitor windows hosts, and the plugins return stuff like
CPU Load 23% (5 min average) |   '5 min avg Load'=23%;80;90;0;100
which is captures by the following ngraph configuration:
define ngraph{
         service_name            Windows Load
         graph_perf_regex        =(\d+)%;
         graph_value             load
         graph_units             CPU Usage %
         graph_legend            avg load
         rrd_plottype            AREA
         rrd_color               EACC00
         }
The regex gets the digits between "=" and "%", which is stored in the
rrd file.

So far, this is only a matter of following the NagiosGrapher
instructions and reading man 1 perlre.

I don't graph more than the above in this case, which I set up following
the NagiosGrapher instructions and the rrdtols manual. To the graphs, I
add some statistics:
define ngraph{
         service_name            Windows Load
         type                    GPRINT
         print_source            load
         print_description       Current
         print_function          LAST
         print_format            %.1lf%%
         }

define ngraph{
         service_name            Windows Load
         type                    GPRINT
         print_source            load
         print_description       Maximum
         print_function          MAX
         print_format            %.1lf%%
         }

define ngraph{
         service_name            Windows Load
         type                    GPRINT
         print_source            load
         print_description       Average
         print_function          AVERAGE
         print_format            %.1lf%%
         }

I'm still unsure where exactly your problem is... is it understanding
how to capture numbers from the plugin output? Or is it in setting up
all the graphical elements you want?

>>> If you really can't figure that out, drop me a mail and ask for paid
>>> consulting ;-)
>
> If I needed paid consulting I would surely ask for it, I know that sooner or
> later I will get help here on the mailing list, once I get the help I will
> post it back here... for FREE.
>
>>> (Note that this is not meant as an advertisement, but rather as a last
>>> resort solution for Palle!)
> Are you kidding??

No.

Arno