Service inherit contacts from host

Justin King justink at landstaff.com
Mon Jun 18 17:55:58 CEST 2007

>From the documentation it seems that entering a contact or contact group
is required for every service I define.  From a practical perspective of
writing a .cfg file, however, this seems to severely complicate the
purpose of assigning a single service to multiple hosts, as a host tends
to be the basis for alerts rather than a specific service.

Quick example(non-relevant definitions omitted):

Define host{

                Host_name        server1

                Hostgroups         datacenterservers

                }

Define host{

                Host_name        server2

                Hostgroups         datacenterservers

                Contacts              +SQLAdmin

                }

Define service{

                Hostgroup_name            datasenterservers

                Service_Description        CPU

                Contacts                              (stuck here?)

                }

Now we have the problem.  I want to monitor CPU usage on all boxes, but
I want the SQL admin to get notified when the appropriate server that he
is also responsible for gets a service check violation.  Because I have
to define contacts for services I end up having to define _two_
services.  Whats more annoying, is I have to be extra careful in
assigning them in a way that doesn't overlap or Ill get a duplicate name
issue.  This usually ends up making me create more hostgroups than I
necessarily need.

As it stands, a service assigned to a host will already treat the host
status as a parent and go into unknown status, so there's some kind of
parent/child relationship at play here ... so is the way to make the
service simply inherit the contact list of the host?  If this was a
one-off scenario it could be minor, but with 5 or 6 departments that
need to be notified depending on the box that makes 10 services into 60.
More service templates ease the coding a bit, but the very notion that
you can define and assign a service check to multiple hosts implies that
this should be doable ... or am I dreaming?