problem nagios snmp with windows machines

Max Hetrick btmanmeh at verizon.net
Thu Jun 14 15:46:01 CEST 2007

andres sarmiento wrote:

> Ok, look,  i had problem settings the snmp-services. i want to check
> way snmp the windows machines but i don't know how implement it. I had
> read very documentation from internet but also i can't implement it.
> Can you helpme way how-to, how to implement monitoring with nagios way
> snmp to windows machines step-by-step ????.

Well, to start, you have to make sure SNMP is installed on the Windows
clients. If you don't already have that part done, you do can add the
following through Add/Remove Windows Components in the Control Panel.

Management and Monitoring Tools -> SNMP

If you want to change the community string from public to something
else, and you want to change any settings go into Services and choose
properties on SNMP Service on the Windows hosts.

That said, you're going to have to read up a bit on some things. I don't
know where there is a step-by-step guide for this, but it's not that
hard to do. By making sure you installed SNMP on the clients, and then
by using these plugins, you should be able to work your way through
things. This implies you understand how Nagios works first.

http://nagios.manubulon.com/
http://nagios.manubulon.com/snmp_windows.html

Once you get them downloaded and installed, make sure you can get one of
the plugins to execute from your libexec path. For example:

# /usr/lib/nagios/plugins check_snmp_load.pl -H HOST -C COMMSTRING -w 90
- -c 100 -T stand
4 CPU, average load 0.5% < 90% : OK

If that works from the command line, you can go ahead and start working
on configuring Nagios. If it doesn't work, then you need to check and
make sure the scripts are executable, and owned by whomever is running
them, etc.

Create the service:

# SNMP 'Doze CPU Load
define service{
        use                             basic-service
        name                            snmp-doze-cpu
        notification_interval           0
        contact_groups                  itdepartment
        notification_options            c,r
        notification_period             24x7
        service_description             CPU Load
	check_command                   snmp_doze_cpu!90!100
        host_name                       windowsclient1,windowsclient2
        }

Create the new check command:

# 'snmp_doze_cpu' Windoze CPU load check
define command{
        command_name    snmp_doze_cpu
        command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp_load.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C
COMMSTRING -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$
        }

Verify Nagios likes it.

# nagios -v nagios.cfg

Fix any errors it complains about. Follow this method for all the other
SNMP checks you want to use across these plugins from Manubulon.

Again, this implies you understand Nagios. If you don't, then I suggest
you take some time to try to read the docs about how the basics of
Nagios work. This isn't any different than creating a regular service
check, or a host check. It's just doing it across the SNMP protocol.

Regards,
Max