How to handle macros with \'s in them

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Wed Jun 13 18:39:16 CEST 2007

Hello.  Recently, we've started running plugins that have \'s in their
output.  Specifically, the nsclient++ disk check that would report on,
say "C:\".

The plugin sends output like:

	C:\ - total: 3.91 Gb - used: 3.62 Gb (93%) - free 0.29 Gb (7%)

which looks fine in Nagios' web interface.  However, when an alert gets
generated, all I get for the service output is

	C:

We use the common notify-by-email command for notifications.  I.e

define command {
        command_name    notify-by-email
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios
*****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService:
$SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState:
$SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional
Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | /bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert -
$HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
}

So unless I'm mistaken, the \ in the $SERVICEOUTPUT$ gets eaten by the
/usr/bin/printf for the notification command.

A simple solution has eluded me.  Has anyone found a nice way to handle
this?

Thanks

Mark