checking windows clients for hung state

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jun 13 15:45:16 CEST 2007

Please always respond on list. You'll be giving experience back to the
community and future readers will benefit from it.

Yes, that's the kind of check I'm proposing for your windows machine.

> Similarly, I was wondering that can we put a check on some service on
> windows machines which will definetly be halted in case the machine
> hangs? I hope I have made myself clear and not confused you :)

How can we know? We don't even know what services your windows machine
is running. Is it running IIS? Does IIS respond when the machine hangs?
If not, then use check_http to check IIS. Is it running DNS? Does it
respond to DNS queries when the machine hangs? If not, use check_dns.
Does port 139 respond when the machine hangs? If not, then use check_tcp
to check that port. You'll have to perform tests such as these based on
the services the machine is running to determine what's best to use.
Nmap can help you determine what ports your machine is normally
listening on if you don't know. If the machine is 'hung' but still
responds to network tests properly then you'll need to dig further to
determine what's actually broken when it's in this state and use that as
a basis for your check.

--
Marc