nagio ping script help needed

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Wed Jun 13 07:38:34 CEST 2007

> Assuming I have 2 servers, both running Nagios.Let's call
> them ServerA and ServerB. Both of them are initially
> configured in such a way that when they boot up, 3 redhat
> cluster services will be started : ccsd, cman and rgmanager.
>
> I need to configure Nagios in such a way that in the
> situation that when ServerA is up and running the 3 services
> and ServerB boots up, the 3 services on ServerB will be
> disabled at bootup (in other words, let ServerB boot up
> without starting the 3 services). My concern is that I do not
> want more than 1 instance of the services being started up.
>
> Can Nagios be configured to accomplish this? I've already
> configure Nagios as a bootup service for Linux already.
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Assuming you want all this to happen at boot, then no, Nagios is
probably not the right way to do it. You should probably come up with a
method that runs at boot, checks if the services are running on the
other box, then starts them if they aren't running elsewhere.

You *could* do it with Nagios, but probably not without some
circumstances where they ended up running in both places. Some of the
plugins, however, might be useful as a way to see if the services are
running on the other box.